Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm not even gonna try to catch up....

on comics, anyway. I still have a few serious book reviews to post, but they may have to wait until Christmas break. Terms papers are coming due very, very soon.

However, I have a few spare moments to do mini-reviews of comics I purchased this week:

DC Comics:
Supergirl #3: Why do I even bother? Supergirl used to be a very interesting character (back in the 80s and 90s). But this series stinks, and there's way too much T&A for a comic starring a 15 year old girl.

Wildstorm comics:

Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles #3: I still have no clue as to what is going on here, but the articles in the back are good and give a reasonably detailed history of why it took so long to get a sequel to the old Robotech series.

Marvel Comics:

Fantastic Four #532: JMS plagarizing himself. Many of the lines of dialogue come straight from JMS's Babylon 5 TV series. It seems he needs to start singing a new tune.

Hulk: Destruction #4: Peter David finally gives us a Hulk/Abomination fight, and manages to erase (retcon out of existence) Bruce Jones' entire Hulk run with three lines of dialogue. Amazing.

Marvel Monsters: From the files of Ulysses Bloodstone #1: Set up as a blog, this gives profiles on some of the more famous Monsters from Marvel comics of the 50s and early 60s - the era just before Fantastic Four and Spider-Man changed comics forever. Fun, but light on pictures and heavy on text.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you should review pirate club from slave labor graphics. www.pirateclub.com

and you should check out www.thisdividedstate.com too.

Ivan Wolfe said...

Pirate Club? Looks interesting. I'll see if my local comic shop has it.

This Divided State? Seen it. Didn't like it much. Well done and all, but too biased in favor of Moore (though I admit the Utah County crowd was way out of line). Moore is a demagogue, pure and simple, and so while UVSC is well within its rights to have him speak there, anything that lionizes him turns me off. I don't truck with demagogues, right or left (I don't care for Rush Limbaugh much either).

Stephen said...

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1

Kind of fun.

Haven't read comics in a while. Guess it has been about twenty years.

Time sure flies.